Last weekend, I babysat for two different families that have kids who attend my school. I usually jump on these kinds of opportunities for two reasons: the money, and the perks. Without getting into details, let's just say that these families have the kinds of lifestyles that most people only dream of. Their houses aren't too shabby, either.
At the same time, Ben was enjoying a weekend hiking retreat with his brother, Spencer. As much fun as he was having on his trip, I was missing him terribly. We didn't get to chat much, because he was out of cell phone range and I had my hands full with two wonderful children (no sarcasm, really). The first time we did get to talk, our conversation was full of details and ups-and-downs about our time apart. I spoke of three seperate staircases, a flat-screen in every room, automated blinds, and a house so big I couldn't find one of the children for a few minutes (don't worry - he was fine). Ben spoke of rocks and streams, hiking trails, clear skies, and refreshing conversations with his brother.
I mentioned how joyously overstimulated I was. He said the same.
I love how different Ben and I are. I need a cushy hotel room to be content; he needs a piece of ground and a sleeping bag. I love new clothes and frivolities; he loves wearing the same pullover again and again until there's nothing left of it. He wants to spend Sundays hiking outdoors; I want to spend it watching movies and reading inside.
Yet...we are the perfect match. We compliment each other perfectly because we love and appreciate the things that make us so different, because it's part of our being. We come together and we move seperately, but we are never apart.
Right now, Ben is fly-fishing. My only requirement of him was that he come home (first) and bring ice cream with him (second). I am content, sitting in bed, blogging, catching up on Grey's and Modern Family, and waiting.
Waiting for my other half to fill himself up with what he loves so he can come home to me and we can be together, rejuvinated and happy.
I love my country boy.
1 comment:
Miss you!
Post a Comment