Thursday, June 30, 2011

Movie Theater Disaster

Yesterday, I took Amelia to the movies. Well, I guess I took her, but the movie experience was mostly for me. I had been wanting to see Bridesmaids ever since it came out, and I thought she could make it through a two-hour movie without waking up to eat. It was risk. A HUGE risk. But I was feeling ballsy.

As I was getting myself ready about an hour before the movie, Amelia fell asleep. "Crap," I thought. "This is not good." She continued to sleep all the way to the theater, where I took her inside and asked the ticket guy how many tickets had been bought for the 1:10 show. "Um, Eight," he said, as he looked at the computer screen. "Crap again," I thought. "If only the number was zero!" Was it worth ticking eight people off? Oh, how daring I felt as I pulled out my debit card to buy the ninth ticket.

It turns out it was not so daring as it was stupid. Amelia lasted about 45 minutes into the movie before she stirred and started to cry. I frantically whipped out my nursing cover, and then my boob. Unfortunately, it was so dark that I couldn't see what I was doing, and she started wailing louder than before. Panicked, I grabbed her, left all my stuff, and ran out into the lobby. "If I could just get her fed," I thought, "I could go back in and finish the movie. No problem." WRONG. I was so freaked out about her crying that my milk wouldn't let down. There I was in the lobby of the movie theater all by myself with a crying baby that I couldn't feed. Breakdown Town, here we come.

A couple of times I snuck back in the door, only for Amelia to start crying again, so I had to run back out. Eventually I decided I had to cut my losses ($6.00 for a matinee ticket, in case you were wondering) and get out of there.

Oh, how I wanted to cry on the way home, but I didn't. I just hiked up my big-girl pants and drove, as quick as I could. When we got home, I fed Amelia right away, and she was as happy as a clam. And so was I. No, I didn't get to finish the movie. Yes, I did throw six bucks right down the toilet. And yes, I most likely did end up ticking eight people off, at least for a minute or two. But I didn't even care. (Except about the eight people. I really did feel bad about that.) I was just so happy that she was happy again.

I guess you can't blame a new, naive mom for trying.

HOLLA -

1 comment:

Cindy A. said...

Fyi @ amc theatres they will usually refund your ticket if your kid can't make it through the movie. We discovered this when we attempted to take mason to toy story 3.