I took the shuttle to the terminal, got my ticket, went through security, and found a seat until the 8:00 flight boarded. I left my parents' house around 6:30 a.m.
Normally, getting on a flight from KC to Atlanta wouldn't be much of a problem. But there WAS a problem. It was the day after the All-Star game. A game that happened to be in KC the night before. Abby had warned me. "I just thought of something that might make your travels difficult," she texted me the night before. I agreed, but didn't feel any need to worry. I WOULD be in Atlanta by Wednesday evening.
So, the 8:00 flight boards. And it's full.
So I grab a water and a breakfast bar and get cozy at the gate with this:
The next flight was around 10:00. A few hours to wait. No problem. I ask the lady at the desk how it looks. "There's only one person on the list ahead of you," she says. "We got three people on the last flight." My hopes are soaring. Soon enough, the 10 - something flight is ready to board. I am feeling good energy. I sit on the edge of my seat with my standby ticket.
And the flight is full.
Next flight - almost 1:00. I am alone at the gate. I fight back tears as I look out the window. I am so mad at myself for being upset, but these kinds of things just crush me. Everything in the world should go according to my plan. Something is terribly awry.
I wait a few more hours to sit through an agonizing boarding process to find out if I'm on.
I'm not.
I call Abby. I am upset. She tells me there are two more flights to try for the day. The 3:00 flight is already full. "Don't even try," she says. "Go home to your parents' house and relax. Take a nap. I'll update you with the status of the 5:50 something flight soon."
So I leave. Good thing I didn't check a bag. I get the shuttle and get back in my car. I pay $6.00 for parking and drive the 15 minutes back to my parents'. I try to nap but can't relax. I get on the computer. I try to read. I look at their movies but nothing sounds good. I watch t.v. My best friend from Denver calls. Maria. She lightens my mood.
By this time, Elise has already got on a flight, flown, and landed in Atlanta. Abby has picked her up. I can imagine the fun they are having already. Abby calls and says my chances for the 5:50ish flight look good. It's up to me, but she thinks I should go for it. I have to. I have to be with my girls.
The lady disappears for what seems like forever to the plane. The five or so people she called never show. I am ready to board. And here she comes.
"Sorry, guys. Flight's full."
What the %$#&? Where are the people who she called? Were they already on the plane and they just didn't know it? I was in such shock I couldn't even be upset. I just got my bag, got on the shuttle, got back in my car, and drove home.
What a day. What an emotional roller coaster of a day.
I spent the rest of the weekend doing my normal things, trying not to think about Abby and Elise down there hanging out, having conversations I was meant to be included on. I was looking most forward to some good, long chats about life...the best kind. Instead, I did laundry, played with Amelia, cleaned bathrooms, and unpacked my suitcase. That was killer.
I feel like I missed out in the biggest way. It's so hard to get good girl time in anymore, so any chance I have is SO important. Now I feel like a junkie in complete withdrawal.
I need my girls.
HOLLA -
No comments:
Post a Comment