Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Awesome Date with Kate the Great

For her wonderful 5th birthday, I bought my middle niece Kate tickets to go see Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day at the Coterie. I met Kate and my mom at the Garden of Olives (Grandma Linda had to come, too!) and had a delish lunch. Kate's favorite: Spaghetti noodles, no sauce, no meat, just noodles. And a little cheese on top, please.



What does Kate like to talk about at lunch? Movies, of course! Quotes, characters, funny scenes...I have a feeling that in a few years, she'll be rolling out classic movie quotes with the best of the grownups. This kid is funny in a way that is beyond her years...she can definitely hang with the big dogs. She gets stuff that five-year-olds just shouldn't get yet - this is going to come in quite handy when winning friends and influencing people. Life of the party? Kate Martens, no doubt!

On the way down to the theatre, Kate read (okay, paraphrased) Alexander to me. With book in hand, we got to the Center of Crowns and stood in line to get seated.





The show was terrific. The actors did a great job, and the story followed the book almost exactly. Good thing, too, because Kate held on to that book with a death vice grip, and for every scene change, she would frantically flip to the matching page and then turn around to us and say, "IT'S JUST LIKE THE BOOK!" A couple of times she dropped the thing, and you would have thought that the stage curtains were on fire. EMERGENCY! "Mimi! I dropped my book! Down there! Can you get it for me?!?!?!?" Hilarious.

After the show, we headed to the strategically-placed candy store (thanks a lot, Crown Center) to pick up some goodies, and then it was off to Sheridan's for some dessert. If you want to see comedy, watch this kid eat some ice cream.







Next, we headed across the street to climb on some kid-friendly Christmas decoration thingies (that's right), and check out the ice skaters.



It was a fantastic day, and I hope Miss Kate enjoyed it. Grandma Linda ended up taking her home, because they both live up North, so I didn't get to spend much time getting a recap of the day's events. Apparently, it wouldn't have mattered - the birthday girl was passed out most of the way home!

I LOVE YOU, KATE! Thanks for letting me share this special day with you!!!!

xoxo

MIMI

No comments: