Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Throwing Stones

I've been thinking a lot about judgement lately. What it means, what it does, what harm it can cause...and how much I do it. It's such an automatic response sometimes; I don't even give it a conscious thought. I've had lots of conversations about judgement with a friend lately, and it's really forced me to stop and think about what role it plays in my life.

When I think about my place as a Christian, these verses come to mind:

"Stay away from complaining and arguing, so that no one can speak a word of blame against you." Philippians 2:14

"Let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone." John 8:7

"Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend's eye." Matthew 7:5

The "complaining and arguing" part is tough for me. This doesn't just apply to people, but to situations as well.

As if words from God aren't enough, I think about what it feels like to be sitting in the seat - perched high up in the air, arms resting on the gold, embellished chair, finger pointed, head held high...and it twists my stomach. There's something about the first jolt of a judgement that automatically turns the spotlight around on....well....ME. When I judge others, I give them (and anyone else) a free pass to call out my shortcomings. "Step right up and take your best shot!" You can't have judgement without instant vulnerablity. As my friend Rachel recently said to me, "I live in a glass house, too."

So, what happens when we stop? First, a release. A release from guilt and entitlement and finger pointing (both at me AND them.) Then comes grace. I recently passed a church billboard that read,

"Be Kind, For Everyone is Fighting a Battle."

And I thought long and hard about how true this was. Yes, even nasty, mean, hateful, proud, selfish, lazy people (ESPECIALLY these people!) are fighting a battle. When I look at them this way, humble, full of grace, through the eyes of Jesus, I see past the faults and feel the thorn in their side.

I've been throwing some big stones lately. But I've also been putting some down and walking away. It makes me feel light and unbound...much better than carrying the weight of other people's decisions and my opinions about them.

In becoming who God wants me to be, I hope to judge less and love more.

HOLLA -

No comments: