Friday, January 2, 2009

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

This is my first post of 2009. How exciting! We'll see how long I keep blogging...probably until my ADD kicks in.

Anyway, today I fulfilled the important task of filling in my 2009 calendars. I always used to love when my mom did this - she would lay the "old" year's calendar sid-by-side with the "new" year's calendar, and transfer important dates such as birthdays and anniversaries.

Now I get to do this for my own household, and I really enjoy it. What I love most is looking over the past year, remembering the special events that occurred along the way. It's fun to think about all that has happened in the past 12 months - so much fun and so many blessings. Trips taken, babies born, holidays celebrated, moments lived. There are also things that did not happen....things that I hoped would. It's hard to think that, at this time last year, I was waiting for those things, and I'm still waiting.

This makes me feel angry at first, and frustrated. My PLANS did not work out. This is not how I thought things would or should be. But then I realize, it's not really up to me, and there's a bigger story being told...bigger than I could ever know. I rest my thoughts, my hopes, and my heart's desires in the hands of God, knowing that he's orchestrating something beautiful, and all I have to do is sit back and enjoy it.

Throughout my life, there has been a special quote that I've clung to through good, bad, and everyday-type circumstances. I think it's a great way to end a wonderful year, and invite the promise of a new one.

(Blessing given to Henri Nouwen by his spiritual mentor - from the book Ragamuffin Prayers):

May all your expectations be frustrated. May all your plans be thwarted. May all of your desires be withered into nothingness, that you may experience the powerlessness and poverty of a child and sing and dance in the love of God the Father, the Son, and the Spirit.

1 comment:

Soccer Mom said...

Happy New Year, pretty lady. We are wishing for 2009 for you and Mr. Haskamp, an exciting, prosperous, happy and fertile year! We look forward to lots of fun times in Martens Madness. Let the games begin!!!!