Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Leaving, on a jet plane...

Today, we booked some flights. Actually, Ben booked flights for the both of us. At the end of February, we are going (back) to Charlotte, NC for a conference of his. I'm just going along for the ride.

I love love LOVE to travel. Staying in a hotel is such a special treat. I love when you're staying at a hotel you've never stayed at before, and you get your room key and your room number, and you go up in the elevator to your floor, looking for your room. When you open the door for the first time, it's such a fun surprise....what will your room be like? Most of them are the same, aren't they? But it's still fun.

It's the same with flying on an airplane. Every time we drive past the airport and are not flying anywhere, I get a very sad, longing feeling. (I get this same feeling driving past Worlds of Fun, by the way.) Granted, airplane travel is not always a picnic, but knowing you're going somewhere is always worth the discomfort.

There has never been a trip that I've regretted. Other purchases, sure. I've regretted outfits, shoes, haircuts, purses, menu choices...but never destinations. There have been times where we booked a trip quite spontaneously, and fretted for days about whether or not it was a good/smart/financially sound decision. But once we were there, and once we came home, we never doubted it again.

A good friend I teach with once shared a story with me that always makes me smile. Years ago, as her roof was leaking, and huge metal pots caught the water that fell from the ceiling, her then-husband decided they should go to Europe. Really, that clearly was not the best way for them to spend the money at the time, but they went anyway and never regretted it. It was the best trip of their lives.

I hope we always live our lives this way. There will always be material things we need or want, but none can replace the experiences of the open road (or sky).

We have several trips planned this year - some for work, some for play, some for family, some for friends. I cannot wait to experience something new on each one of them. Memories will last, but the things of this world are fleeting.

Here's to you and your quest to experience the unknown...may your suitcase always be open, and may your memories always be full.

1 comment:

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

This is a fabulous photo of you. I am happy to have found you and glad that you have such a wonderful life. Congrats on your marriage!