I recently read this excerpt from Eckart Tolle's book Stillness Speaks. It reads:
Most people's lives are run by desire and fear.
Desire is the need to add something to yourself in order to be yourself more fully. All fear is the fear of losing something and thereby becoming diminished and being less.
These two movements obscure the fact that Being cannot be given or taken away. Being in its fullness is already within you, Now.
This thought greatly resonated with me. I can apply this to my life in an infinite number of ways. For example, "I wish we could get that (fill in the blank) that we want. If we could get it, life would be so much better...so rich and full of joy."
Or, in an alternate context, "If (fill in the situation) happens in a certain way, then (fill in the name(s)) will think that I am (fill in the blank)."
It seems that life is spent running this race that ultimately leads to nowhere, leaving a wake of lost moments and unnecessary thinking. Being here, now, is the only way to truly break this cycle and free oneself from the chains of "want" or "fear".
This is my own personal homework, and it IS working. Thinking about what I don't have leaves me feeling "less than", which is a rediculously horrible way to live. WHO I AM IS ENOUGH. And fear....well, that is my new "F" word.
HOLLA -
1 comment:
love it! brilliant.
i hope your last days (weeks?) of summer are great!
Sylvia
Post a Comment