And it was one of the hardest weeks of my life.
I knew going back to work would be hard, but I didn't realize how one week of teaching would completely bring me to my knees. It was a combination of things, really - Amelia has learned to roll over, which means she is rolling over at night in her crib, so she wakes up in the middle of the night, rolls over to the edge of her crib, gets stuck, and screams for help. This can happen not once or twice, but many, many times. Some nights I just stop counting how many times it happens because if I add it all up I would cry...more than usual.
There were also a few late nights last week when I knew I should have just gone to bed, but instead stayed up doing this or that, or went places with friends, or got my hair recut, etc. etc. etc. which all led up to even more sleep deprivation at the end of the week.
On Friday morning, I woke up and got in and out of the shower just in time for Amelia to wake up. Her eating schedule is all wonky because she gets formula during the day, but I have still been breastfeeding her the rest of the time, so we are all having to readjust to when and how much she eats. I was all ready to breastfeed her after she woke up, but she wasn't hungry, which meant I had to pump, but I only had my hand pump at home, which sucks, which, when I tried to use it, wasn't working....
And I snapped. In a big way. As in, I lost it. I had a complete and total mental and physical breakdown. I threw my pump against the wall. Threw it. And then I went in my closet, laid down on the floor, curled up in a ball, and sobbed.
It was not pretty. In fact, I scared my husband, I was so upset. I finally pulled it together, but was so distraught and exhausted that I cried for the rest of the day. In between singing at chapel and teaching classes, of course. What a mess.
What I know is that I have discovered the place where lack of sleep meets sheer frustration, and as my friend Pam the chaplain at school said, "You start to make bad choices."
I'm scared about this, and frustrated. I just KNOW that there are so many moms out there making it through just fine, and I can barely make it through a week. I have every right to be tired from my first week of school and the adjustment that it brings, but still, I feel like a failure.
I am learning new things and filing them away, like how not to ignore my need for sleep, and how to say no to things, and how to react more calmly when things don't go well.
Each day, I am figuring it out. In the meantime, I'm pretty sure my family thinks I am going crazy. More often than not, I am struggling, and I know it worries them. Which worries me. Grrr.
So to the people of the world including my family, and most importantly, Amelia:
Please don't give up on me. This is the hardest mother freakin' thing I have ever done, and I'm treading water. When it comes to threatening to throw in the towel, I am the grand champion. But I can do this - I will figure it out and stand victorious in the face of motherhood. I must! I will!
YES I WILL!
HOLY HOLLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5 comments:
Wow.....we've all been there. You are right....you can't give up! She's beautiful and needs you. You have to take care of yourself so that you can take care of her. Enlist the help of friends and family. Let Ben feed her formula if she wakes in the night so that you can get some sleep. You might also talk to your doctor about what you can take to help with the post pardum depression while you are nursing. Let me know if there is anything I can do from Oklahoma besides continuing to pray for you, Amelia and Ben.
Lori
I LOVE THAT SMILY BABY!!!! I need a hug from her.......that makes everything all better......Love, Grandma (Maybe she wants to go school shopping!!)
You will make it. And before you know it you'll be advising Amelia on how to cope with her first child.
Welcome to motherhood. Just when you think you have it figured out, there can be a new bump in the road! You are in uncharted territory and the three of you will find the right path together. Yes, this is the most difficult thing you have ever done, but it is also the most important. Sometimes when the going gets tough, the tough takes a nap (or at least a time out). Remember you and your family are loved and this too shall pass (they grow up WAY too fast!).
Oh, Friend. You are naturally great at all you do, and you always give 110%. Which isn't easy when something has to give. It is really hard to be able to let things go when you are juggling sweet baby snuggles, quality time with your hubs, and loving your students. It really does take time. Hugs and lots of love in this darn meantime. :)
Post a Comment