Monday, December 22, 2008
Melodrama at the Movies
Okay, I have to vent. Yesterday evening, Ben and I went to see 'Four Christmases'. Adorable movie, by the way. So we're walking into the theater when these ladies with two elementary-age girls walk in behind us. I'm just looking at them like, "What? Are you in the wrong movie?" Oh no. Then a few minutes later, another lady walks in by herself with a TODDLER. The little girl could not have been more than two or three years old. And she plops this kid right next to Ben. There's plenty of seats, mind you, but Ben is the lucky winner. Then, a few seats on the other side of me, there was an older couple. Awesome - no problems there....oh WAIT. They talked throughout the first 20 minutes of the movie.
I could not BELIEVE it. First of all, we are like a MAGNET to these kinds of people, no matter WHERE we go. The movies, the ballfield, concerts, whatever. They ALWAYS sit right next to us, cursing, spilling, talking, pushing, shouting, barfing (yes, that really happened).
Second of all, this was NOT an appropriate movie for children. Cursing, innuendos, bad behavior....not a good model for young people. I was so embarrased for these little girls - and their parents! I was so wrapped up in all of that that I didn't even notice until Ben pointed out to me later that Vince Vaughn even talked about SANTA and...who he is, if you catch my drift. (I don't think there are any young people reading my blog, but just in case, I don't want to be a hypocrit. :-))
I just don't know why people think it's okay to do these kinds of things in public, with their children. I hate to think that we should just revolt by not going to things, but then THEY would win, right?
I guess this is just a lesson in patience, self-control, and the mental notes we are taking about what example we will set for OUR kids someday.
-VENTING COMMENCED- :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey there Lady!
I had no idea you were in the blogging world, too!
I loved this movie, too, but am sorry to hear that you attract strange people!
;)
Also...
I get perturbed when I see little kids coming to movies that seem WAY to violent for even me.
As for the Will Smith movie, we were going to see that when we get back from Christmas. I'm so happy to see that you recommend it!
Have a very Merry Christmas!
truly,
Sylvia C.
Post a Comment