Tuesday, December 30, 2008

WORK IS GOOD

For the past two days, I've been at my school, St. Paul's, unpacking boxes, organizing, cleaning, and setting up my new room. I am so happy about this, I cannot stand it. I think about it all of the time. When I go to bed, I think about what I'll be doing the next day in my room. When I leave school, I'm already thinking about when I will get back. I am overjoyed about teaching in my new classroom. Now I'll be honest. With a classroom full of students, I'm not always this enthused. Maybe it's just the organizer/decorator in me, but I LOVE this stuff.

There is something so cleansing and refreshing about a hard day's work. The fact that you've completed difficult (or maybe not so difficult...still though...) tasks is rewarding beyond measure.

Knowing this,I don't know why I get so excited about lazy days off. I think about how fun it will be to sleep in, watch movies, and veg out, but it never works out that way. I usually end up sitting around feeling guilty about all of the things I'm NOT doing. Those days make me feel like crap...nothing like yesterday and today.

Tomorrow I'm not going up to school because it will only be open in the morning, and my room is finished. (You would like to see pictures, wouldn't you? They're coming!) I have already planned a day of returning some things at the mall, doing laundry, picking out a New Year's Eve outfit for tomorrow night's outing, possibly getting my nails done, checking out the sales at New York and Company, my favorite store, blah blah blah. Normally this would excite me to no end. But it doesn't, because I won't really be accomplishing anything.

My point is, no matter what you do, whether it's working at home or driving into the city each day, I hope you feel as fulfulled at it as I have the past few days. Working hard gives us the opportunity to play hard and to feel good about it. I'm thankful for work, for a good job, for a paycheck that pays the bills, and the freedom to celebrate....

but that's another blog!!!

Holla -

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey girly,

I used to feel exactly like that... only content when I was being 100% productive.

Thankfully, I've found several sit-down hobbies that have helped slow me down, and it's really nice!

But, some of us will always be movers-and-shakers!

Happy New Year!
Sylvia C.
PS- I HAVE seen you in a classroom setting, and you look VERY enthusiastic and involved every time. Don't kid yourself!
;)